Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Giant Bicycles to GM: Who needs a car?

Giant's riposte to GM.
Scrounged from the League of American Bicyclists web site
It didn't take long for one of the major bike companies to take my advice and turn the tables on General Motors and its anti-bike advertisement. While Giant went so far as to point out the burden of costs and traffic congestion that a collegiate car or light truck purchaser would be saddled with (see above, courtesy of the League of American Bicyclists, they left out the obvious sexual innuendo from the original ad.

Now even though my new Surly Long Haul Trucker Project is probably cheaper than two car payments, doesn't use gas, or need insurance, we can't leave out the sex, can we? For gosh sakes, these ARE college students being targeted, and they have their priorities. So to finish the story Giant should have told, I offer my own addenum to the Giant advertisement: Get the bike, get the girl. A still or two from Breaking Away, featuring Robyn Douglass as Katherine, the gorgeous co-ed, and Dennis Christopher as the local guy Dave, obsessed with Italian bike racing.And, of course, with Katherine....


"I'd much rather date you than that wheezing frat guy with the pickup truck.
Aside from his bad health, he is so far behind in his GM car payments that the only place he ever takes me to is the Golden Arches"

And later that night.....
"Its so much fun to date a guy with such endurance! 
Can you teach me to ride, too?"
Nuff said?

2 comments:

JerryM said...

FANTASTIC! I love it!

Darren said...

Nice.