Thursday, February 8, 2007

Helmet Hair

While I'm working on the reflectors exposé I promised Scott--it is going to blow the roof off the reflectors conspiracy!--I thought it might be handy to post a tip that I just had to remember this morning. For the first time since December I came in with no cap on under my helmet. When I arrived at my workplace, my co-workers reminded me of the unfortunate downside of warm-weather commuting: helmet hair.

Fortunately, I had my 95¢ Ace comb with me, and promptly went into the bathroom to restyle my coiffure. Over the last 5 years of bike commuting I think I have come up with the quickest and most convenient method to deal with helmet hair. This probably only works for short haircuts:


  1. Wash and roughly style your hair, using your favorite hair gel. You don't need to spend too much time here, just get things more or less where you want them.

  2. Put on your helmet and do your ride, and get helmet hair.

  3. Dump water on your hair when you arrive at work.

  4. Style your hair with the comb or brush you brought to work.



This works well because, at least with every hair gel I've used, wetting your hair un-stiffens the gel without washing it out. When you style your hair again, you will still have the gel to hold things in place afterwards. For me, this takes all of about 30 seconds. Your mileage may vary.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Neale! Thanks for the post!

Regarding helmet hair - hopefully those blog readers who are actually fortunate enough to still have hair on their heads can take advantage of your advice. :)

Anonymous said...

or you could just leave your helmet on all day. Safety First!

Scott said...

February 26, 2007 1:16 PM

LOL, yeah, we should just all wear helmets around all the time. After all, falls in the shower and on the stairs probably result in a large number of household head injuries. Safety First! :)